Taijiang National Park
Taijiang National Park was approved as Taiwan’s eighth national park by the Executive Yuan on September 28, 2009. The Park’s Administration Office was inaugurated in the same year on December 12.
The Park has a total area of 39,310 hectares. Its land area includes public lands from the Yanshui River to the Zengwen River (of Tainan City), the black-faced spoonbill (Platalea minor) Reserve in Tainan, Cigu Lagoon, etc., covering a total of 4,905 hectares. The main three focuses of the National Park are to preserve the wetlands and their biodiversity, to restore the history of the ancestors’ settlement, and to showcase the characteristic salt and fishing industries. The sea area of the Park, covering 34,405 hectares, encompasses the coastal water of the 20-meter isobaths along the Park and the sea of 20-meter isobaths from Yanshui Estuary (near Luermen) to the south end of Tongi Island in the Penghu archipelago, which is 5 km in width and 54 km in length. It was the main navigation channel for early Han Chinese settlers crossing from Tongi Island to Luermen.
In the future, the National Park will take advantage of its precious variety of natural resources, ecology and cultural landscape, along with the distinctive culture and history to conduct future developments and conservation efforts. In tune with the international trend to attach more importance to conservation and preservation of historic heritage, the National Park will make every effort to protect Taiwan’s natural landscape, wild flora and fauna, and historic relics, while at the same time providing a place for the public’s recreation and academic research. By all means, it will help keep ecosystems intact, safeguard the rare species and their habitats, and preserve the historic heritage for future generations.
*website link (home page): http://www.tjnp.gov.tw/index.aspx
National Museum of Taiwan History
The establishing of National Museum of Taiwan History was met with a lot of difficulties. During the preparatory period, most work such as planning and execution was done in the temporary Preparatory Office of the Museum. The Museum first sojourned in the Provincial Taiwan Museum, later moving to the Shaoxing North Street, Taipei City office, and then to the Anping Branch of the Tainan Municipal Library. Not until the inauguration ceremony of the Administration and Collection Building in the Museum Park in May, 2007 did the Museum finally have a place to call its own. An opening ceremony was held at the Museum in October, 2007, which opened the door to the Museum’s boom period. In this period, the Museum not only continued its four main tasks: collection, research, exhibition, and education by receiving collected artworks, purchasing artifacts, as well as organizing academic seminars, exhibitions, and educational classes, but also engaged in interaction and connection with local communities through field studies, interviews with the elderly, recruitment of volunteers, and workshops related to local culture and history. The Museum’s discovery and cultivation of local cultural features based on the Taijiang Inner Sea helped increase public participation in different events and construct a shared memory of Taiwan. Various international research and exhibitions organized by the Museum were thriving as well. The Museum endeavors to employ its rich historical treasures and diversified ways of interpretations concerning Taiwan’s history and culture to introduce the island to the world. By doing so, the Museum can also showcase locals’ affection for this land and, of course, the island’s unique past and present.
The Park opened in October, 2010 and the Museum opened a year later.
*source link: http://www.nmth.gov.tw/content_72.html
*website link (home page): http://www.nmth.gov.tw/
Annan District Office
In 1887, Taiwan Province was established. The original Taiwan Prefecture was renamed Tainan Prefecture, and Taiwan County was renamed Anping County. Heshunliao Village of North Taijiang (New Heshun, Old Heshun, Waiwun, Jhongjhouliao, Wukuailiao), Anshunliao Village (Siaanshun, Dinganshun, Sidingliao, Budaizueiliao, Sinliao, Zongtouliao), Sisinliao Village (Sisinliao, Shihsandian), Haiweiliao Village (Haiwei, Sizihcian), and Matzu Temple Village (Matzu Temple, Sihcao, Benyuanliao, Shiherdian) were included in Waiwuding Li of Anping County. Gongcinliao Villages of North Taijiang (Gongwunzih, Cingcaolun, Tuchengzih) and two other major villages were included in Sigangzih Po of Chiayi County (with the Luermen River as the border).
In 1895 (the 28th year of the Japanese Meiji Emperor), the organization of Taiwan administrative districts was updated after Japan took over Taiwan. Waiwuding Li and Sigangzih Po of North Taijiang became a part of Tainan.
In 1920 (the 9th year of the Japanese Emperor Taisho), the whole Taiwan administrative district was divided into the five prefectures (namely Taipei, Hsinchu, Taichung, Tainan and Kaohsiung) and two departments (Hualien Harbor and Taitung). Heshunliao, Anshunliao, Sisinliao, Haiweiliao, and Matzu Temple of Waiwuding Li, along with Gongcinliao and Syuejialiao of Sigangzih Po were consolidated into Anshun Village of Sinfong County. Tuchengzih, which used to belong to Sigangzih Po, was consolidated into Cigu Village of Beimen County.
In 1938 (the 13th year of Japanese Emperor Showa), Tuchengzih was included in Anshun Village and the “eight major neighborhoods” came into being.
In 1945, Taiwan was taken over by Chinese Nationalists and Tainan Prefecture was renamed Tainan County. Anshun Village of Singfong County was renamed Anshun Township of Singfong District.
On March 10, 1946, Anshun Township was included into the jurisdiction of Tainan City. In commemoration, this district was named “Annan District.” The name was derived from two names, i.e. “An-” from Anshun and “-nan” from Tainan.
On December 25, 2010, Tainan county and city merged, making Tainan a municipality, while the district name Annan stayed the same.
Annan District Office is located at the crossroads of Anjhong Rd. (Section 2) and Haidian Rd. (Section 2). Annan District Household Registration Office and Mediation Committee are on the first floor of the building. Annan District Office is on the second floor. On the third floor there are the Village Office and Tainan Municipal Library (Annan Branch). The assembly venue and conference room are on the fourth floor.
*source link: http://www.annan.gov.tw/main.php?menu=history
*website link (home page): http://www.annan.gov.tw/index.php
Taijiang Culture Promotion Society
Founded in 2002, Taijiang Culture Promotion Society aims to promote the cultural developments in Annan District, Tainan by means of 1) community empowerment, 2) homeland education, and 3) policy lobbying. In order to form community consciousness and connect the communities and villages in Annan, the Society will keep making efforts to turn Taijiang into an eco-friendly place with culture and energy.
*source link: https://www.facebook.com/taikangculture/about/
*website link (home page): http://22.214.171.124/~private/
Artistic Groups in Taijiang
DREAN LAND Concert Hall
DREAN LAND Concert Hall dedicates its efforts to the promotion of art and culture and organizes artistic events in local communities on a regular basis. Musicians are welcome to share the stage and give performances in order to get one step closer to making their dreams come true. DREAN LAND Concert Hall hopes that, by doing so, it can eventually help improve the quality of art and culture in Taiwan.
*source link: http://www.dorimu.com.tw/dream_land_1.html